The Stephan Center was originally incorporated in 1973 under the name The Children’s Preschool. The agency provided direct service as an Early Childhood Education facility for children 2 through 7 years old, offering an alternative approach to the traditional education of the public school system.
In 2004 the Corporate Board chose to redefine the mission of the agency and to change its name to The Stephan Center. The mission of the agency is to provide training, information, and resources to professionals supporting children, adults, and families and to laypersons in need.
Training Programs at The Stephan Center
We have developed training programs which have seen great success in school districts, faith communities, and local and city government.
This website like our training programs, is a constantly evolving resource in the area of bereavement ministry and social services support.
- Professional Life Loss Workshop series currently consists of twelve training workshops for professionals on aspects of life losses.
- Consolation Ministry development programs for church and faith-based leaders and lay ministers, cover the areas of Ministry to the Sick, Bereavement, and After Care.
- “Fathers Speaking Out” is a video and discussion series for men in fathering roles.
- Training Opportunities: Trauma-Informed Certification program; A 12 module series addressing trauma through research, theory and best practices. Designed for professionals working with children, families and adults.
The Stephan Center is an educational services organization dedicated to those journeying through life transitions.
We are committed to providing educational programs, information, and resources to professionals and lay persons as they offer support and understanding to those seeking peace and acceptance in their lives.
- Charles and Jeanette Stephan
- Mary Ann and Charles “Butch” Stephan
- John P. Stephan
- Timothy J. Stephan and James M. Stephan
- Patricia A Stephan
We also wish to remember the following loved ones honored by their families and friends with a donation to The Stephan Center.
- Molly Bernard
- Ross Carlton
- Virginia Curry
- Ed Glass
- Ed Hatton
- Dr. Emil T Hoffman
- Debbie Lione
- Margery Lione
- Ellen Malone
- Marian Manuele
- Nancy Pierce
- Erma Kiss Portman
- Robert Sallee
- Patricia A Stephan
- Tom Stuger
- Barbara Szeczyk
- Barbara Franco Urey
- Louis Viviani
May we all find peace and comfort in the special memories we hold in our hearts and the knowledge that love never ends.
Charles “Butch” Stephan
July 1924 – July 2019
In 2020-21 the Board of Directors adopted a Strategic Plan for 2021-23 consisting of four initiatives:
- Program Development: Become a certified Education Institute , provide CEUs and offer programs electronically through webinars / on line classes
- Marketing Plan: Develop a marketing plan that parallels program expansion, targets specific populations and increases website usage
- Financial Growth Plan: Increase revenue streams to sustain agency financial needs
- Administrative/agency infrastructure: To increase national/international visibilityand service use through social media and electronic program options
Our Board of Directors
We are blessed with a dedicated Board committed to the agency mission and ideals. As defined in the bylaws, all board members are direct descendants or spouses of descendants of Jeannette and Charles M. Stephan.
Those serving on the 2020-2023 Board of Directors included:
Board Chair: William Stephan
Vice Chair: Chuck Stephan
Secretary/Treasurer: Jeff Wells
Members At Large:
Matthias J Stephan Ph.d
Our trainers are direct, to the point, and easy to understand. They share the information that helps anyone dealing with life losses, or working with others who are going through transition. The feedback from our previous training sessions gives us the confidence to move forward with this important program, with the goal of making the knowledge and techniques available to anyone active in the fields of bereavement ministry, social work, counseling, and education.
We are honored to have the following professionals serve on our training team as Life Loss Educators: